With over 150 years of experience, Godfrey Hirst Carpets takes a proactive approach to environmental issues and has a history of many fine environmental initiatives and achievements.
Guiding our production methods is our commitment to improved environmental performance. Our focus on Green Manufacturing has resulted in a decrease of greenhouse gasses and a significant reduction in water usage. Some of our other environmental achievements and initiatives from the last few years are listed below.
- Godfrey Hirst has been awarded the 2011 Victorian Premier's Sustainability Recognition Award and Large Business Award. The company's major initiatives include the implementation of a world-class storm water harvesting and Water Treatment Facility and continued reduction in emissions, electricity, gas and waste generation per metre of carpet produced.
- Received a $1.3 million government grant to assist with the creation of our storm water harvesting and wastewater recycling system. The system can save up to 250 million litres of water a year – the equivalent of 250 Olympic swimming pools. Apart from saving water, the project also reduced energy use by 5 per cent a year (15,712 billion joules) and cut the trade waste discharged by up to 70 per cent annually (175 million litres).
- Godfrey Hirst Australia has been assessed and registered by TQCS International Pty Ltd as having the capability to control the environmental systems associated with its operations, under an environmental management system complying with the requirements of ISO140001: 2004.
- Godfrey Hirst Australia is an active member of Greenhouse Challenge Plus, a joint voluntary initiative between the Australian Government and industry to reduce gas, waste and electricity consumption.
- In 2007 Godfrey Hirst received a Commendation in the “Manufacturing” category for the savewater! Awards. The savewater! Awards recognize and reward outstanding achievement in water conservation across Australian businesses, community groups, individual and government departments.
- Godfrey Hirst was accredited as a Waste Wise business in February 2006 – a business program supported by EcoRecycle to help large companies improve their materials efficiency. To achieve this, Godfrey Hirst developed and implemented a waste reduction action plan that avoids the generation of over 100 tons of waste per annum.
- Godfrey Hirst was honored with the Medium Business Award for “Outstanding Achievement in Greenhouse Gas Abatement” at the Greenhouse Challenge Plus Awards in 2005 .
Godfrey Hirst wool carpet has earned the maximum two points possible for wool carpet under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System.
Developed by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), LEED provides a list of standards for environmentally sustainable construction.
The two points earned by Godfrey Hirst wool carpets are in the Materials and Resources criteria and the Indoor Environmental Quality criteria.
To view further LEED information click here.
Renewably Resourced Fiber - Wool
Our wool fiber production process consists of The Natural Elements... Sun, Rain, Grass and Sheep.
Natural wool is the ultimate renewable fiber. Sheep grazing freely on grass, grow wool continuously before being shorn every 9 - 12 months and returned to their pastures to grow more wool.
Wool is composed entirely of amino acids, the building blocks of life, and at the end of its useful life, pile from wool carpet can be returned to the ground, releasing nutrients as it decomposes, promoting further grass growth.
In soil, wool readily biodegrades to produce nitrogen, sulfur, carbon dioxide and water, which are all plant nutrients. Even in landfills, wool pile will decompose leaving no harmful residues.
CRI Green Label +plus
Godfrey Hirst easyliving@home carpets meet the VOC emissions criteria required by CRI Green Label and Green Label Plus.
Godfrey Hirst has also independently tested for Green Label Plus compliance. The carpets that have been tested are:
- 100% Solution Dyed Nylon (Dual Bond installation)
- 100% Solution Dyed Nylon Carpet Tile (Direct Stick installation)
- 100% Wool (Carpet only tested)
- Wool Blend (Carpet only tested)
- 100% Solution Dyed Nylon with composite backing (Modular tile only tested)
- Wool Blend with composite backing (Modular tile only tested)
All products achieved emission levels for VOC far below the 0.05mg/m²/hr maximum levels that Green Label Plus requires.