Carpet Care Tips
With easy regular care you can protect your investment and keep your carpet looking great for as long as possible.
- It is important to vacuum your carpet thoroughly and frequently, particularly in high traffic areas to prolong the life of and enhance the appearance of your carpet.
- After your carpet is laid, vacuum lightly and frequently in the first week and then at least weekly and more frequently in high traffic areas after that.
- Give three vacuum passes for light soiled areas and five to seven passes for heavily soiled areas.
- Vacuum first against the pile direction to help unsettle and remove dirt and grit to reduce matting.
- When finishing, vacuum in the direction of the pile to achieve a uniform finish.
- Use only a quality vacuum.
- Vacuums fitted with micro filter systems ensure fine particles (such as dustmite allergens ) are removed and stay in the collection bag (particularly if you are dust sensitive).
- To prevent excess fuzzing turn the brush off, or change the head when vacuuming loop pile, cut pile or berber carpet.
- Check and adjust the height of beaters if fitted regularly to ensure the carpet is not damaged by excessive beating.
- For thicker carpets with a higher pile, the height of beaters may be raised and/or suction level reduced to make vacuuming easier.
- Suction efficiency is reduced considerably when bags are half full.
- Change or empty dust collection bags frequently and replace filters as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Depending on usage carpet should be professionally steam cleaned every 12-18 months.
- Steam Cleaning should only be undertaken by a professional carpet cleaner who is a member of a professional association.
- Shampooing, do it yourself steam cleaning or dry cleaning are not recommended.
- Prompt attention to spillages or stains is paramount to avoid the penetration of a stain into the carpet fiber.
- Liquids (particularly hot liquids) must be attended to immediately. If allowed to cool or dry, the stain will be more difficult to remove.
- Care must be taken as haphazard attempts at spot removal can cause permanent stain setting, pile distortion and loss of color.
- Follow the stain removal steps as recommended.
- Exercise extreme care with all bleaches and chemical products as the can permanently discolor or dissolve carpets.
Ways to Protect Your Carpet
- Place door mats at exterior doorways.
- Use furniture coasters and chair pads under chairs with castors and occasionally rearrange furniture to alleviate pressure marks.
- Use rugs to protect carpet in high traffic areas.
- Protect carpet from prolonged periods of direct sunlight with curtains or blinds.