Now that you've chosen the right carpet, it's time to make sure it is installed the right way.
Professional installation is a must
Putting carpet in your home correctly will help your home to look its best and ensure that you get the most use from your new flooring.
It is important that all carpet is professionally installed in accordance with the Australian Standards Association Carpet Installation Recommendations AS2455-1995 and the Godfrey Hirst Carpets Recommendations for installing tufted carpet (as set out in the Hycraft Carpet Maintenance and Guarantee booklet). If you don't have carpet installed correctly it can void your guarantees.
What else should I consider?
- Yes, you have enough carpet for your rooms and hallways, but do you need a bit more? We recommend that you keep the future in mind and purchase some extra carpet to update area such as stairs and any heavily trafficked or damaged areas in the years to come. You can also keep left over carpet to bind and make into mats.
- Don't forget underlay. Carpet should be installed on new underlay that is compatible with the quality and use of your new carpet.
Preparing your home
Don't forget to get yourself ready when it's time for the carpet to arrive.
- Make sure you have made arrangements for the take up and disposal of your old carpet.
- You'll also need to shift your furniture out of the way to allow the carpet to be installed.
- Ensure that you can provide the easiest access for your carpet delivery.
- If the outside area is muddy, it's a great idea to provide an area for cleaning shoes
- If you are laying carpet in a new house check that it is ready to go ie. the power is on, the floor is clean, painted surfaces are dry, tiling is complete etc.
Putting the carpet in
The big day is here. The carpet has arrived and it is ready to transform your home. How do you make sure it is installed correctly?
1. First things first. Check the underlay, trims, colour and style are what you have purchased. No point getting it all installed correctly if it is the wrong carpet!
2. Now for the skills and artistry of the carpet layer. They should do the following:
- All carpets should be power stretched, otherwise bubbling and wrinkling will occur.
- Seam adhesive must be used for all seams.
- Carpet pile should run in the same direction throughout the house, sweeping towards the main entrance.
- Generally seams should run in the same direction as most foot traffic.
- On stairways the pile should sweep down.
- Extra, hidden carpet should be folded back at the top and bottom of stairs so that as the edges of the tread are worn, the carpet can be moved to hide the wear.
3. The carpet layer has finished and, at first glance, it looks great. You need to check it over though, just to be sure. Before the carpet layer leaves your property inspect the laid carpet for faults and check that no damage has been caused during installation.
- After your carpet is laid, vacuum lightly and frequently in the first week to remove surface lint dust and fluff.
- Accessorise to get the look you desire and enjoy your fantastic floor covering!